Gun lovers know that ammunition is key. Your gun isn’t too useful without it! If you’re buying ammo, you need reliable ammo containers to store your loose ammo rounds so that you can keep shooting accurately and efficiently. Keeping them in a safe space is crucial, so we put together a list of the best ammo storage containers out right now! We recommend the Aolamegs Ammo Box as the best overall option, but there are plenty of options to choose from. Keep reading and see which of our picks for best ammo storage containers is right for you.
|Aolamegs Ammo Box||30.5 x 15.2 x 19.1 (H) centimeters||Waterproof||Nylon, Alloy Steel|
|5-Can Ammo Crate||24.6” x 8.3” x 7.0”(H)||N/A||Polypropylene|
|Ammo Box Plus||13¼” x 6¾” x 5¼”||Watertight seal||Hard plastic|
|Ammo Can 45ACP Polymer||7.4” x 13.5” x 8.5 (H)||Water-resistant||Polymer|
|Survivor Ammo Can||10”(D) x 13.5”(H)||Water-resistant||Plastic|
|AK Tactical Magazine Can||10.7 x 17.2 x 9.2 (H)||Water-resistant||Polymer|
|Dry Storage Box (AC11)||22.1 x 39.4 x 22.9 centimeters||Water-resistant||Polypropylene|
|ACC9 Ammo Can Combo||19.1 x 34.3 x 21.6 centimeters||Water-resistant||Polypropylene|
1. Best Universal Storage Box: Aolamegs Ammo Box
- This ammo case is a one-size-fits-all storage unit. It has locking hardware capable of storing 50 Cal, Fat 50, 30 Cal, 20 mm, and 40 mm ammo cans, and the locking hardware is compatible with any medium-sized up to a ¼ inch shackle.
- The kit comes with a few essential items, including a large washer, a small washer, a stud, a neoprene washer, a grade 8 nylon lock nut, and the instructions for installation. The two things not included in the kit are a lock and an ammo can.
- The high-quality stainless steel hardware prevents rust and guarantees your ammo is safely secured. The ammo box is waterproof, thanks to the neoprene washer that effectively keeps liquids out.
- The Aolamegs Ammo Box is a well-built ammunition box, and the price reflects its high quality. One thing that we want to mention is that anyone purchasing this container might have to enlarge the hole on the .50 cans and install them after enlarging the hole to make matters easier. Nonetheless, this universal storage box is a great and secure way to store your ammunition.
2. Best Transport Ammo Box: 5-Can Ammo Crate Mini
- This rugged tactical five-can ammo storage crate is the best for simple transporting and for multiple storage compartments. They’re versatile, durable, and made to stand the test of time.
- This ammunition storage has five O-rings to keep out moisture and is ideal for keeping different types of ammo of multiple calibers. You can sort the ammo into whatever categories you prefer, making it suitable for a wide range of ammunition.
- The ammo cans are an essential size 8.4” in length by 4.4” in width by 6.8” in height, allowing you to store about 700 rounds of 9mm bulk ammunition. The crate itself is 24.6” in length by 8.3” in width by 7.0” in height. It can also store 400 rounds of 45 ACP or 223 bulk ammo rounds.
- The mini crates are stackable, allowing you to easily secure them with ties to transport them on an ATV for hunting trips.
3. Best Secure Ammo Box: Ammo Box Plus
- This ammo storage container holds shooting equipment and accessories, ensuring they’re transportable, secure, and protected from weather and the elements.
- The large, impact-resistant plastic ammo box is sturdy, durable, and made to last.
- It features a secure, thick fold-down carry handle and an integrated toolbox with a snap-down top to carry other small necessities.
- The cam latch tightens the lid and forms a waterproof barrier between the base and the gasket, and we love that there are two molded flanges that give you the option of adding a padlock for increased security.
4. Best Water Resistant Ammo Box: Ammo Can 45ACP Polymer Tan
- The polymer tan ammo can has an air-tight seal that secures and protects your ammunition, avoiding dents, scratches, and sliding.
- It provides protection for each magazine, so everything has a place, and you can stay organized.
- The heavy-duty polymer exterior and rigid foam-padded interior provide impressive protection for transport, and the stackable design helps you make the most of the space you have.
- We love the option to add two padlocks for more security.
5. Best Survival Storage Container: Survivor Ammo Can
- This survival ammo can is the ultimate survival storage container, designed for below-ground storage and many other applications.
- The three-piece design allows you to store not only ammo but also valuables, money, non-perishable food items, essential documents, and emergency items.
- The bucket-like shape can store up to 500 rounds of .45ACP or 223 ammunition or 16 to 30 rounds of metal AR-15 or M16 magazines.
- The air-tight design, double o-ring seal, and protective lid design keep everything inside protected against moisture, while the vapor corrosion inhibitor bag wraps around the exterior, protecting against humidity.
- The internal dimensions of these plastic ammo cans are 7 inches in diameter and 12.4 inches in height. The outside is 10 inches in diameter and 13.5 inches in height.
6. Best Basic Storage: AK Tactical Magazine Can
- This tactical magazine can hold up to nine AK magazines holding between 20 and 30 rounds, providing each a separate compartment for ultimate protection and organization. The pre-cut foam lining keeps everything secure and avoids shifting during transport.
- The lid features an o-ring and impressive latching system, securing it shut and preventing any moisture from getting in, essential features when storing ammo.
- There are two security tabs if you want to use padlocks for additional security.
- Another great thing about this ammo can is that it’s stackable, helping you make the most of the space you have. The ridged design prevents the cans from sliding and slipping, making transport simple, and there are four tie-down points if you want extra security when you’re on the move.
7. Best Stackable Ammo Storage Container: Dry Storage Box (AC11)
- Many consider this ammo can a great American treasure, and many soldiers have used previous versions of this military ammo can in battle. This newer version is surprisingly simple, but it definitely gets the job done.
- Although this ammo can is prone to dents and scratches, it’s still resilient and dependable, keeping moisture out and protecting multiple rounds of ammo.
- The stackable polypropylene design is rugged and convenient, and the waterproofing keeps the inside dry as long as the can is not submerged in water.
- This ammo can is more affordable than its competitors.
- Its dimensions are 15.5 inches in length, 8.7 inches in width, and 9 inches in height.
8. Best for Bulk Storage: ACC9 Ammo Can Combo
- The ACC9 Ammo Can Combo is the best on our list for bulk ammo storage, holding up to 1000 rounds, more than any other item we mentioned so far. In fact, you might find it a little too spacious if you don’t have the rounds to fill it.
- The polypropylene design is extremely durable and will stand the test of time.
- This water-resistant crate has an o-ring seal to keep moisture out, and the stackable design makes it easy and convenient to transport multiple crates easily.
- It comes with two holes for padlocks, so you can keep your ammo extra secure or transport handguns securely if needed.
- The inside dimensions of the crate are 5.8 inches in length, 11 inches in width, and 7.2 inches in height. The outside dimensions are 7.4 inches in length, 13.5 inches in width, and 8.5 inches in height.
What To Consider When Storing Ammunition
When we discuss firearms, there are usually more interesting things to talk about than the sustainability of ammunition and its shelf life, but most gun owners know how important these things are. You can prolong the life of your ammunition with proper storage, and you can shorten it if you don’t store it properly. The essential point we want to get across is that, unlike food, ammunition can be stored for decades, if not centuries, if done properly. And whether you’re prepping for a hunting trip or the apocalypse, we think that’s pretty impressive.
You might be thinking, ammo? Lasting for centuries? How can I pull that off? Well, you must account for the type of ammo you have, since there are important variations in how to store different types of ammo.
If you’re a seasoned prepper, you’ve probably observed a significant scarcity of ammo on the open market. We know we have. As a result, planning for long-term storage is even more important than ever. When done right, you can even pass your ammo on to your descendants.
Where To Store Ammunition
You can’t just store ammo on a shelf in your closet or in a box in the trunk of your car. Well, you could, but you won’t get the most out of your bullet supply if you do.
To keep your ammo in good shape for as long as possible, choose a well-constructed, durable, and waterproof ammo case. But even if you use the best ammo storage containers, where you store your ammunition box is just as important. Remember that temperature variations are corrupting and can destroy gun equipment and ammo, so do everything you can to maintain a dry, moderate environment. Avoid unheated areas of your home and your car since these locations tend to harbor moisture.
How To Store Ammunition
For the best possible ammunition storage, we recommend investing in high-quality ammo and ammunition cases. A strong, trustworthy ammunition container might be a touch pricey, but you have to pay a little bit more for something high-quality. Remember, you can keep your ammo safe for a long time, but you have to use the right storage container. We base our reviews on user input and manufacturer-provided product information, so you can rely on our suggestions.
The biggest thing to keep in mind when storing ammo is moisture. Any containers, ammo crates, and ammo boxes you choose should be water-proof. Keeping your ammo dry and cool is the best way to preserve it. A good seal is necessary, but there are other things you can do to provide even more protection.
Many gun owners store their ammunition in ammunition cans with silica gel packs to keep it dry and preserve it, while others use ammo cans without these additives. We think these methods are great, but it’s possible to keep ammo stored long term in ammo can without silica gel packs as long as you do so in a climate-controlled environment. If your house has central air conditioning or if you have an air conditioning unit attached to your house, there shouldn’t be any issues with the long-term storage of ammo in a closed and sealed container.
Organize the Ammunition
We recommend inspecting your ammo every five or six months. Establish a procedure and label your ammo so you have quick access in the event of an emergency.
Lastly, although this is pretty obvious, we recommend keeping your ammunition as safe as possible. The best place for it is locked up in a safe, but if you don’t have a separate place to lock it up, consider getting an ammo box that lets you use a padlock or two. That way, you know you’re the only one who has access.
As mentioned, you can store ammo for a very long time, but you have to do it properly. Different storage methods are necessary for different types of ammunition.
Ammunition cans are a popular way to store ammo, but they’re not the only factor to consider. Yes, you need the right ammo can, but if you want your ammo to last for decades or centuries, you need to account for the environment you’re storing it in and how often you inspect or access it.
There is no perfect answer when it comes to proper ammo storage. Every gun owner’s situation is unique, so make sure you do your research and choose the method that works best for you. All of these products are great depending on what you’re looking for in an ammo container, but we recommend the Aolamegs Ammo Box as the best ammo box overall.